Monday, April 7, 2008

Just fiddling around...


trying to decide whether or not I want to blog. When I was online earlier today, on a whim I decided to see how long it would take to sign up for a blog, set up my page, and publish a post. Much to my surprise, it was extremely quick and easy. I think it was surprising because so many times bloggers post about how blogging is taking over their lives. They take long breaks from blogging and debate whether or not they should return. Many of them don't. I wonder if it has to be so all-consuming? It doesn't seem like it, but I'll keep fiddling around with this and see how it goes. If it takes too much of my time, I'll stop.

I've only told one person-- my 26-year-old daughter, Aimee-- that I'm messing about with a blog. She immediately demanded to know the web address, but I hemmed and hawed and told her that I wasn't ready for anyone to see this because I'm not even sure I want to pursue blogging. She told me that it didn't matter. She will find it anyway. So, are you here yet, Aimee?

I've always loved writing things down. I don't consider myself a writer, but I am an avid journaler and diarist. When I was a young girl, the best gift anyone could give me was a diary. I always loved those little diaries with the gold-embossed date of the new year on the outside and a clasp that had a lock and key. It was inevitable that I'd lose the key, usually within the first week, so I always had to have my dad pick the lock and it would, from then on, remain unlocked.

Over the years, I've kept many diaries and journals. I literally have boxes of them in storage. I have prayer journals, journals of spiritual musings, journals for copying favorite passages and quotes from my reading, food journals, homeschool journals, and many more. Maybe a blog is just another form of journaling, of writing things down that are on my mind, of communicating with friends and family. Writing things down has always been sort of therapeutic (and fun) for me, and maybe blogging is like journaling, so I'll give this a try.