Tuesday, April 15, 2008

What are some of your favorite read alouds or children's books?

When I was writing the post below about creating a book-rich home and reading aloud to our children, I wondered if anyone would like to post a few of their family favorites? What have your children enjoyed having read aloud to them? What are some of your favorite picture books or chapter books for children?


Any of my own kids want to answer? Anyone else? It would be fun to see what you've enjoyed.


Some of my favorite picture books are the Little Bear books, the Frances (the badger) books, Lois Lenski's Mr. Small books, Owl Moon, anything by Robert McCloskey, Tasha Tudor's A Time to Keep, Oh What a Busy Day by Gyo Fujikawa, and lots of others.


For chapter books, I loved reading aloud the Little House books, the Little Britches series, Wheel on the School, Wind in the Willows, Heidi, Madeleine Takes Command, Caddie Woodlawn, Lois Lenski's regional stories, The Chronicles of Narnia, and many more.


This is all off the top of my head, so I'm sure I'm not thinking of some of my favorites, but I'd love to hear some of yours.


My grandson really enjoys the Mr. Small books, Owl Moon, Blueberries for Sal, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus (and other pigeon books), If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, the Eric Carle books like The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and a whole pile of others!


What about your family? What books have you enjoyed?