Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Goodwill Shopping...

(A few of the old glasses I've bought recently. Temporarily on my kitchen windowsill.)

Driving out to my house from town this morning, Michelle and I stopped at the local Goodwill store. I've been swinging by there once a week because I keep finding fun things for great prices. I'm not sure how old something needs to be to qualify as vintage, but what I'm finding could at least be called funky! It's stuff from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Here's some of what I've found:

--I've been picking up old drinking glasses from the 1960's and 70's mainly. I'm going for a wide range of colors. So far I have pink, light blue, dark green, turquoise, gold. Lots of shapes and sizes. These cost less than 50 cents each. They remind me very much of the glasses in my childhood home or in my grandma's home.

--a pink pyrex cake plate (probably 1950's) for $1

--a vintage painted metal cake tin in good shape

-- a teal and green club (?) chair (occasional chair? I don't know!) from the early 1960's. This is in impeccable condition. No wear at all. It's for the now-empty and unfurnished family room (the little amount of furniture that belonged to that room went off with the college boy). The style and color of the chair makes me think of some of the furniture my mom had in our home when I was a young girl, and that is a very happy thing! :-)

-- 3 really cute vintage aprons in perfect condition

-- drapes that look like brand new from probably the 1960's (off-white background with big flowers in similar colors to the chair)-- $1 each; I might make pillow covers out of them... or something...

-- a cute, old blue table or desk; sort of roughed up, but I like the way it looks

And a bit more.
Oh, and I was driving to town a couple weeks ago, and an old man had put some things at the end of his driveway to sell. One of the things was a sideboard that is probably from the 1940's, and it's in great condition! It was $40, so I snatched it up. It's in the family room with the TV on it. Our TV is really only a DVD monitor, though, because we aren't hooked up to watch television. We've been TV-free in our home for many years, and I like it (even though I must admit I do love watching the TV show LOST on DVD).

As I buy this stuff, I'm thinking of things I need and also of what my kids might like or need.
I should really follow Laurel's example and make a buy-nothing commitment. Do I get points for reading Not Buying It (by Judith Levine)?! Seriously, I think what Laurel is doing (or did last month) is a very good thing. I remember when Tonia did something like this; it was really interesting to read of her experience, as it occurred, through her blog.