Friday, May 16, 2008

Mornings Outside...

"The sun has not caught me in bed in fifty years." (Thomas Jefferson)

(Breakfast Under the Big Birch, Carl Larsson)

I sat in the sun at my little table on the deck this morning. Doing this is part of my usual summer routine, but this morning was the first time this year that it's been warm enough in the early morning to sit outside (it gets cold at night in the high desert, with freezing nights occuring sometimes even in mid-summer).

I made a pot of French press coffee in honor of going outside, and I carried the coffee, my Bible, and my journal to the table. The sun was so warm that I almost immediately removed my polar fleece jacket. I sat at the table for a long time and was so invigorated by the sunshine and the beautiful morning, that I didn't want to get up to go back inside. So I alternately wrote in my journal and sat quietly. I thought, prayed, drank my coffee, and enjoyed the morning. Now that my kids are grown and my schedule is much more open to whim than ever before, I can usually stay outside as long as I want. And I did.

I love all mornings. My bedroom window faces east, and I don't cover it with curtains because I like to rise with the sun. In the morning, the air is still and seems fresher and cleaner. The light seems purer and colors more vivid. The sky is always clearer and bluer in the morning-- a striking, vivid blue. Coffee tastes better in the morning. The birds sing joyously in that big morning chorus (even the birds know that morning is best). I have more energy in the morning, but I'm also more settled and quiet. I feel full of joy and hope, maybe because His mercies are new every morning.

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:22,23)