Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Simple Woman's Daybook...

This is something that started at The Simple Woman blog, and I run across these posts occasionally at different blogs I read, including a long-time favorite, Real Learning. Reading Elizabeth's posts inspired me to do this myself today. (Anyway, I've been busy and distracted the past several days and haven't really had time to think about blogging.) I typed this out this morning, then didn't get a chance to post it. I guess I'll do that now.

I hope your days have been lovely. We love having my son home for a visit, and we're expecting company tomorrow and then going on a trip, but I guess I mentioned that in this daybook entry...

Outside my window...

It's early morning, and, the western hills are glowing pink from the rising light in the east. It's still and quiet in the countryside except for the busy birds. It's 33 degrees this morning, and there have been several frosty mornings in the past week.

I am thinking...

About many changes coming up in my life. About the value of manual labor. That I need to be a better neighbor. And I keep thinking lately about what Elizabeth Elliot always used to say to open her radio program-- "You are loved with an everlasting love, and underneath are the everlasting arms." I really feel the truth of that.

I am thankful...

That my husband is alive after his recent scare and hospitalization. That my children love each other as best friends. That my own parents and siblings are my best friends (they're the best!). Shelter, food, health, beauty, books, family, friends, grandchildren who keep me laughing.

From the kitchen...

A new and improved technique for herb-roasted potatoes (taken from Judy Rodgers book, The Zuni Cafe Cookbook). No matter how many I make, it seems that people are wishing there were more. Lots of great CSA produce-- especially greens, but also, this time, strawberries! Lately-- salmon, rhubarb crisp, garlic scape pesto, Melissa's banana muffins...

I am wearing...

Green hiking shorts. A brown hoodie. Reading glasses. A quilt wrapped around my legs for warmth.


I am reading...

Light stuff because we've had a lot going on in our home, and I can't concentrate when there is lots of activity around me. A Countrywoman's Year by Rosemary Very (small and fun to read). Unplugged Kitchen by Viana La Place (this one is a treat because the philosophy is exactly like the one I've been shifting toward for a long time-- doing more by hand/less by machine, slowing down, taking time in the kitchen, enjoying the process of preparing food). I'm at the tail end of my re-read of Father Alexander Schmemann's journals. Wonderful book!

I am hoping...

That it won't get hot today.

I am hearing...

Nothing but the refrigerator and the computer hard drive. I love early morning silence!


One of my favorite things...

I love to be outside in the early morning (the light and sounds and the quality of the air are so invigorating). I also love to be outside, here in the country, on a clear night to look at the stars. The early morning fills me with joie de vivre and the night sky fills me with awe of God and a peace that He is in control of all things and loves us very much.


A few plans for the rest of the week...

Today I'll prepare for company (
Laura A's family will arrive tomorrow evening) and for a trip/adventure around the region that we'll take with them, leaving home on Saturday and not returning for over a week. So, my plan is to enjoy myself!

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...

I love that my grandsons know how to just sit and be. They sat themselves down on my front steps, just to sit there and look around. They didn't know I was behind them with the camera.