Saturday, August 2, 2008

Simple Pleasures-- Goodwill Shopping...

I stop in at the local Goodwill store at least once a week, and I frequently find something that I want to buy. As I've mentioned in other posts, a lot of what I pick up is reminiscent of my childhood home or either of my grandparents' homes. When I see something that makes me smile with warm memories, I buy it.

I've found vintage tablecloths and aprons in Goodwill for $1.00 or $1.50 each. I've found quite a lot of good Pyrex from the 1950's through the 1970's, usually for $1 (or less) an item. But since what I buy is most often 30 cents to a dollar an item (only furniture or big things tend to cost more than that), this is not an expensive habit.

I've bought drinking glasses and dishes that have reminded me of my grandparents or my own mother. A lot of people might wonder what the appeal of these things are, but I don't care, I'm enjoying them! Maybe some of it seems sort of tacky (things from the 1970's?!), but I say I'm on the leading edge of chic! :-) Just give it a year or two! (Actually, I'm seeing now that lots of people are collecting things from the 60's and 70's.)


My mom and Grandma had some of this glassware. I posted a photo of these bowls this past week. This is just a little sample; I have quite a few others, too. I put these out for awhile just for fun. I particularly like the turquoise glasses (I only have four of them altogether).

These doily-runners (I have two) were $2. The bowl goes with the plate hanging above the shelf in the previous photo. I stack them in the middle of the table sometimes, and I like how it looks.

Isn't this groovy?! Total 70's! I'm picking up colored vases and glassware. I have some blue stuff, too, somewhere, and I'm on the lookout for other colors. I had to buy the fondue pot! It's never been used, and I found a Sunset "fondue and chafing dish" cookbook at Goodwill the same day. So we are definitely going to have a retro-fondue party one of these days!

Some of the aprons I found in Goodwill for $1 each. I love 'em!

This is all I ever use for potholders anymore. I have a drawer full of these in a variety of colors and designs.

This is absolutely perfect. I don't think it's ever been used. My mom's cookbook was exactly the same as this one-- I cooked from it all the time growing up-- so I was thrilled to find it.

And this is groovy, too, don'tcha think?! How could I pass up a golden glass lamp with its original silky shade, in perfect condition?

I was able to date this to pre-1963 (the name of the company changed that year, and the chair has a tag with the old name). It's also perfect, like no one ever sat in it. My mom had these colors in our house when I was little. The chair now sits in Aaron's apartment, and I hope he's enjoying it. (It's quite comfortable.)

Not particularly beautiful, but if the cord and markings on the lamp give anything away, it's old! And I liked it. It's on one of the dressers in my room. The black tin was my great-grandmother's. Inside are her round, wire-framed reading glasses, her thimble and some needles and thread, a handkerchief and a few other odds and ends. Very special!