Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My 10 Blogging Guidelines...

Okay, by overwhelming, popular demand (well, two people liked it... and I miss it, too...), the return of the original photo for this post (and it does fit the quote):

"...the Code is more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules."
(from Pirates of the Caribbean, the movie)


I'm listing my guidelines only because someone asked about them awhile back, and I promised to post them. I listed these guidelines for myself when I first started blogging, and they really are just for me-- because I know what I need to do and why-- and not a matter of what I think is right and wrong for any other blogger. Some of my favorite blogs work outside these guidelines, and I certainly don't think they should change a thing.

1. Keep posts mostly short. (Surprised at this?) This is relative. And it's something I'm working on.

2. Don't get a site meter. Don't keep track.

3. Stick with the original aim of the blog-- to keep sort of a family scrapbook and journal of our very ordinary daily lives, what we're reading, thinking about, doing, etc. Our routines, rituals, traditions.

4. Limit computer time.

5. If it's not fun, don't do it. It's not a job.

6. No obligations. Don't force a post through. (I pulled a post once for breaking the second half of this guideline.)

7. First things first. Family, home, relationships, real life, hobbies and interests, routines, reading. Blogging can fit into that, but it's not the priority.

8. Be positive. Be thankful. Be light.

9. Be real. But don't post my deepest thoughts and struggles. Don't aim to be preachy, teachy, wise, or deep.

10. Be myself. Don't look at other blogs I like and emulate them. I am not them. I am me.