Thursday, November 6, 2008

Off She Goes...

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." ~Jeremiah 29:11

As I sat at the table by the woodstove this morning, drinking my coffee and writing in my journal, I began to think about Melissa and how much I'll miss her when she's gone.There's a tug in my heart, a lump in my throat, and a tear in my eye. Our last special one is moving away. Tomorrow Michelle and the boys and I will drive across the mountains with Melissa and some of her things, and Sunday I'll come back here by myself.

But I really don't care to dwell on that much. After all, she's only moving a short ways away, and I'll see her often. And there are such things as phones and computers. In spite of the lump in my throat, there's a big smile in my heart. I wouldn't want this to be any different. God knows the plans He has for Melissa, and they are good. Always. I'm eager to see where He takes her and what He has for her. It's an adventure!

Melissa is a very special person. Indomitable. Strong. Tenderhearted and thoughtful. Loyal. Artistic in every way. The Holiday Queen. A great listener. Steady. Lover of good books. Delightfully eccentric. Hard-working and conscientious. One who loves to write. Bringer of great joy and many hearty laughs. Fellow food lover. Organized! My personal pastry chef. Melissa is, and makes, a lovely atmosphere.

I told Melissa she won't be the star of my blog anymore, and what am I supposed to do now? Because I'm not going to resort to taking photos of myself in the mirror! When I get a camera, that is. Melissa is taking hers away-- the one I use every day. I teased her that it was fine for her to leave home, but I'm really going to miss her camera! (And you know I'm teasing, right?)

God also knows the plans He has for me (and Mike, who should be home for good before too terribly long). It will be an adventure to see just what the Lord has planned. I can think of many things I want to do, and I'm eager to get at them. There are many things I want to learn and develop. Many projects I want to focus on. And, of course, there's always homemaking work and projects and people to connect with and family and grandchildren and holidays to prepare for and letters to write and an endless number of things.

I'm sure I'll have lots more to say about this later! But I should mention that it may or may not be just a little while before I post again. We'll see how it goes. :-)


~:~:~:~:~

So, here's my goodbye-for-now photo tribute to you, Lissy. It would have been fun to put up some photos of you through the years, but I have to work with very recent pictures that are already on the computer, and some of these have been posted here before. Still...

Melissa loves to eat good food. She's a crazy-good baker, too.

See? Always eating.

And she plays the piano beautifully. I'll miss the daily music.

And she's eccentric. :-) And artistic...

Though she is adamant that her pencil portraits are not art. "They're copying," she says. And she's not impressed. She drew a lot of celebrities and recognizable people so she could show customers the quality of her work.

She writes and writes.

And she's a blast to have for a hiking partner (sorry to cut you out again, Aaron!). She makes me run on the trails, and it's fun. But we'll keep hiking together in the summer.

I love you, Lissy!