Thursday, November 13, 2008

You Really Need to Read Willa's Post on Writing...

What do books and reading children have to do with writing? Read on.

Immediately after writing this post, where I unintentionally and spontaneously wrote a bit about writing in our homeschool, I started another post about writing, but it wasn't coming along the way I wanted it to. My intention was to explain more about how our family approached writing and to give you a list of some of the creative ways my kids chose to write, but the post just wasn't saying what I wanted it to say. After letting it lie fallow, I thought I might pick it up and try to finish it to post this week, but then I read Willa's wonderful, thoughtful post on writing and decided I'd rather post a link to it instead. Even though I've been reading Willa's blog for ages (if you don't read her posts, you are really missing out on some great wisdom from an experienced mom and homeschooler who has already raised some kids into adulthood), I was surprised at how closely to Willa's my own family approaches and thinks about learning to write.

Read. Think. Converse and discuss (informally). Write. These elements are all connected, but this is not a pattern or a formula. (It's not always linear, either.) It's simply a natural, informal, delightful process that can emerge as we live in a happy learning atmosphere. It starts in babyhood as we enjoy reading picture books together, and it continues into adulthood, growing continuously in its level of sophistication as our families continue to enjoy outstanding literature and conversations about reading and as the intellect matures. But read Willa's post below for a better discussion of this.

There are other things besides reading and conversation that motivate writing (and Willa would agree), and I still might put up a few notes of my own later on (and an actual list of creative ways my kids chose to write), but believe me when I say that, even though I was trying to write something along these lines in my dropped post, this is much better and more helpful than what I would have written:

Too Little, Too Much?