Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Different Kind of Weather...

This is what it's been doing here lately. All the time.

It rains. And it rains. And then it rains some more. The sky has been mostly grey with low clouds.

I'm used to the high desert, where we get about 10 inches of precipitation in an entire year (mostly in the form of snow) and more than 300 glorious days of sun and clear, blue, open sky.

Last winter at home. View of front yard and beyond from the front porch.

Here on the coast you can get inches of rain in one day.

Yes, it's raining in this photo, too, and lest you think I'm trying to get artsy here, framing my photo with a tree, I'm really standing under it to protect my lens from the hard falling rain!

But you know what? I love the rain. I grew up in here, so the weather feels cosy. The coast is a different place with a different kind of beauty, and it takes rain-- a whole bunch of rain-- to make it this way. And I love it when the wind howls and the rain pelts the windows.

In cold high desert winters, we know how to bundle up to stay warm. Here, we bundle up to stay dry. I've heard it said that there is no bad weather-- just wrong clothes-- and I think that's pretty much true. And when one is ready for it and open to it, rain is really a lovely thing.

And, because I grew up here, I know a winter secret about this rainy, coastal place. There are these unexpected, magical, sunny, summery 70 degree days that sometimes show up, even in January. I can't wait for the first one-- my friend says when it comes, we can go out on the lake in her kayaks!

And anyway, remember this nice poem? I posted it once before, but I love it, so here it is again:
Who loves the rain,
And loves his home,
And looks on life with quiet eyes,
Him will I follow through the storm,
And at his hearth-fire keep me warm;
Nor hell nor heaven shall that soul surprise
Who loves the rain
And loves his home,
And looks on life with quiet eyes.

~Frances Shaw

Tomorrow we're taking Melissa back to the apartment she shares with Aaron (who resumed his college courses this week). I've gotten used to having her around again, so I'll miss her. And she says she'll miss having a nice spot to sit and write (we'll have to see if we can get her set up with something that feels just right).

So, Mom, Melissa and I are off to the valley for a couple of days. I'm hoping, when I return, to be able to find a nice daily rhythm. I also need to find a way to come online besides using Mom's one phone line. Because I don't want to tie up her phone line, I'm usually only online briefly in the early morning and again late at night. Until I find another internet connection, my posts might be sporadic. I'm also in something of a brain fog lately (I guess that's to be expected), and I don't know how long it will be before I can muster up a coherent thought!