Tuesday, January 13, 2009

To the Beach Again!

Taken on the walk back toward the jetty and where we started.

(This post dedicated to you, my sweet daughter, Michelle, because you wanted me to write about our beach visit-- and put up some photos-- on my blog. Love you and miss you and your family!)

I know, I know. All I do is go to the beach. Hence, all I do is blog about going to the beach. But that's just fine with me. I'm enjoying every moment of it.

It was a gorgeous, sunny, warm day today. Mom and I had been doing things around the house, and after lunch she said, out of the blue, "Would you like to go to the beach?"

"Yes!"

So, we hopped into the car, and in just a few minutes we were there. We ran into our friends, Laurie and Dave, in the parking lot. Because it was a beautiful day, the two of them had packed a lunch to enjoy in front of the ocean. They were just leaving for home as we were arriving.

Laurie and I talked for a minute about our plans to go kayaking tomorrow morning on a local lake. Awhile back she'd asked if I'd like to do this as soon as we have one of those amazing, unseasonably balmy January weeks. Two nights ago she called me, saying, "It's that week!" So we put it on the schedule for Wednesday (tomorrow) morning, and, according to the forecast, we should have beautiful weather for exploring the lake. While I've been canoeing many times, I've never been in a kayak, so I am really looking forward to this.


Lighthouse. Photo taken from the jetty.

Mom and I walked and walked down the beach, one that is often particularly good for shell hunting, but the tide was fairly high this early afternoon so it wasn't a good beach combing day. No matter. It's just nice to walk along the sand in the fresh air, enjoying the view of the dunes and the ocean.

We noticed some interesting and pretty pieces of driftwood along the beach. A sea lion popped its head out of the water right alongside us as we walked and seemed to be watching us.

Mom, sitting at the end of the jetty this afternoon.

I climbed up on the jetty and walked out on it a little ways. Mom sat on a rock to watch the ocean (she loves nothing better than doing this). There were several fishing boats nearby on the water, and I noticed a surfer bobbing around. Then he caught a small wave, rode it in, and paddled back out.

As I turned to walk back off the jetty, I noticed quite a group of surfers collecting at the top of the beach and trotting toward it with their boards. Nice day for surfing, that's for sure, even if the waves weren't gigantic.

We left the beach vowing to go back often. Why not eat lunch there on a nice day rather than at home? And why not take our walk there since we intend to walk daily anyway? After all, it takes just a few minutes to get to the beach, and it's so, so refreshing to be there.