Friday, February 27, 2009

A Yummy Raw Muesli Recipe...

I spent a big chunk of today driving back and forth between here and there to pick up Melissa and bring her back to the coast. We'll leave from here in the morning to drive to our home across the mountains to see Michelle and her family. Yippee! (Hopefully, I'll be able to post some pictures while I'm there.)

While I was in Eugene, I stopped at my sister's house for a few minutes. JoAnne pulled something from her fridge and told me I had to taste it because it's delicious. I looked into the bowl and could tell right away that, whatever it was, it was raw, so I was extra happy to try a bite. Raw muesli with apple-- yum! Guess what I'll be eating for breakfast in the morning? Thanks, JoAnne!

I haven't made this myself yet, but I've tasted it, and Melissa has, too. She liked it as well as I did, so I thought I'd share the recipe here for anyone who is already eating raw, aspires to eat raw, or simply thinks the muesli sounds good.

The recipe, featured in Sunset magazine, is from Rancho LaPuerta, a resort and spa in Baja California, Mexico. There are two options given for making this, and I'll post option two because it suggests soaking the oats ahead of time. In Nourishing Traditions, one is encouraged to soak oatmeal overnight in water and something acidic like whey, all-natural yogurt (my choice), or lemon, and it's perfectly easy to do this with the muesli recipe:

1 c. old fashioned rolled oats
3 T. fresh lemon juice
2 firm tart apples, such as Granny Smith
1/4 c. toasted or raw sliced almonds (a raw foodist would use raw or dehydrated nuts)
3 T. agave syrup, maple syrup, or raw honey (JoAnne used maple)
1/4 c. toasted or raw unsweetened shredded coconut, or dried currants (JoAnne used the coconut)
1 c. plain low-fat (I would only use whole fat and all-natural!) yogurt

1. In a medium bowl, combine oats with 1 1/2 c. water and 2 T. yogurt, whey, or lemon juice. Let sit on the counter overnight.

In the morning:

2. Put lemon juice in another bowl. Peel 1 apple, then cut out 8 very thinly slices. Turn slices in lemon juice and lift out; set aside. Peel and coarsely shred remaining apples into lemon juice; mix immediately.

3. Stir apples, nuts, syrup, and coconut into oats. Divide among 4 bowls. Serve with yogurt if you like (JoAnne says she much prefers it with the yogurt); garnish with apple slices.

I have this recipe posted at my kitchen notes blog, along with my daughter, Aimee's, food log for today. If you're interested in that,
head on over there and have a look!