Monday, March 30, 2009

This Morning...

This morning's coffee made in a French press and drunk from an old Goodwill find-- Syracuse Carefree "Nordic" dishes.

Outside...


At the moment, the western hills are pink in the rising sunlight. It's 11 degrees. Lately we've had sunbathing weather alternating with snow and freezing temperatures. Mostly it's typical springtime weather-- frosty mornings, longer, warming days, cold nights. And the desert spring winds blow hard many afternoons.

I like to walk around outside in the morning to breathe deeply and to enjoy the fresh sunlight. The clothesline is in use once again. This year's first game of croquet (which is not a mild, sedate game when played at my house) was played in our yard on Friday on our still mostly dormant grass with its typical spring molehills and pinecones scattered everywhere. My little table and chairs will be moved to the back deck soon. And, on a not-too-distant extra-nice day, I'm sure I'll be grilling something good-- salmon or vegetables or something.

Around the House...

There are a whole bunch of boxes of stuff sitting by the front door, ready to be donated to Goodwill today. I'm decluttering my home and life again, and I've barely gotten started, so the number of boxes that are already set to be taken away surprises even me. I so enjoy the space that comes from weeding out the extraneous. What is useful or beautiful or meaningful? How much is necessary? How much is good? This is different for all of us, and I happen to be one who likes things scaled back. Books, of course, are not clutter, so they stay.

Learning...

Always something, whether intellectual, practical, spiritual, or creative. I'm learning (and have been for decades) to let go and hold everything in an open hand to the Lord. I learn from watching others. I learn from sitting still. I learn from reading. I learn by doing.

I'm learning to eat when I'm hungry. This sounds so obvious, but it's really something new for me. I don't have a weight problem, but I graze and eat all day. I rarely feel a sense of hunger. This seems unhealthy in many ways, and I've been aiming to change it. I've read exhortations to "eat when you're hungry" many times, and I've always brushed it off as being connected to someone who is dieting or trying to get their weight under control.

Jesus said that we should eat to live and not live to eat. My trouble is eating to eat. What inspired me to change is something I read recently in, of all places, a book by surfing great Laird Hamilton. (This guy is a physical phenom!). I don't remember his exact words, but it was basically, and simply, "Eat only when you're hungry." Okay!

I've been up for three hours this morning, and so far I've only drunk a tall glass of lemon water. I haven't felt hungry until right now, so as soon as I finish writing this, I'll go to the kitchen for something to eat. I like the feeling of doing this. I like how much it helps me appreciate and enjoy of food. It seems you can taste more, and better, when you're really hungry. I like the feeling of lightness and clarity that comes with this.

Creating...

Space and quiet. I'm getting ready to sew pillows for the living room couch. I'm making a brighter, fresher, airier home for spring and summer.

Reading...

Not much this past week because other things took precedence. Little Heathens is almost finished. I'm well into Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. (I started this book last year, and
Laurel encouraged me to finish it, and now I am.) And there are other things.

In the Kitchen...

Whatever is simple and real and tasty. Lots of raw foods throughout the day. A lightly cooked dinner. I want to incorporate more eggs and a bit more meat. I don't know why, but I haven't eaten meat much at all lately, and this has not been on purpose. So, today, I'll buy a salmon fillet at the meat market, cut off a portion to cook, and freeze the rest. Maybe I'll make packets of salmon with julienned vegetables in parchment paper. Or I might make one of my favorites-- salmon with roasted asparagus and lemon-garlic vinaigrette.

Doing...

I'm trying to focus really hard on doing real things every day. Move! Do! I only live once, and, more to the point, I only live this day once. Reading good books, sewing for the home, walking for exercise, walking to explore, breathing deeply, cooking new things, digging in the garden dirt, hanging laundry on the line, writing letters, spring cleaning, reading to the grandchildren, sitting at the table to drink almond milk chai with Roman and his mother, being about people more than about things or ideas... This is something I'm still contemplating. What kind of life do I want to lead? What kinds of things do I want to do well or learn to do? What is good to do? (We are created in Christ to do good works, the Bible says.) And beyond this, what am I called to do?

Looking forward to...

Everything turning completely green outdoors. Perennial herbs making a good showing in the garden-- both for their beauty and so they can make a good showing in my cooking! Moving my life outdoors again. Morning coffee in the sunny table on the deck. Summer hikes. Camping with family.

Inspired by...

The birds and their morning chorus. It's so beautiful and full of hope and promise. I want always to sing with great hope and cheer in the morning, too!

Ann to do this post. I love reading Ann's blog. Everything about it inspires and refreshes me. There's a sense of peace and beauty and gratitude and authenticity there that feels real. She doesn't seem to want to be anyone else. Just herself. I like people like that.

I enjoyed, and was inspired by,
Elizabeth's daybook this morning, too.